6.21.2007

who gets fired from physical therapy?

who gets fired from physical therapy? if anything, isn't it supposed to be the other way around? the patient quitting in a fit of frustration or at least a dramatic teary outburst? and wouldn't the latter be more expected of me? well, in a recent move that is par for the course in progress 2007, i was benched from physical therapy. now, in my PT's defense, and i do know she's sincere (commence ranting), she emphasized that she was not discharging me, that she was still going to keep my case on file, but i needed to get my physical ailments sorted out so that our work together is beneficial, not detrimental.

and the top runner of physical ailments at the time is my abused and overly medicated digestive system. (altho i have to admit- considering i've given up two of my great loves, pinot grigio and michelob ultra, you'd think my body would be thrilled with only having to process pills alone!) so to say that pt has been a burden or an exercise in frustration (other than what it normally is) over the past month specifically, is an understatement. i've used the last ounce of my energy to push the pedals on that damn bike, or do exercises on the giant red peanut, or just drag myself there in general- and she voiced what i hadn't- that instead of making progress, we're going in circles. she also referenced that she knew i'd get on my hands/knees and crawl there before i admitted i couldn't do it anymore, which made me laugh over the accuracy of the prediction.

and she's right- i'm physically miserable and in pain, and i'm not able to give pt the focus and energy i want to give it. but i don't know how to fix that! i'm really trying, i'm trying so hard. and for once, i can't blame the MS as the main source of these limitations, which is humorously ironic in and of itself. but i can only go as quick or as strong as my body allows me- and i'm not getting to work with a very big budget here.


how was your day honey? oh fine, i was fired from physical therapy, that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg,
Fired from your PT--Fantastic. About 4yrs ago, on the table drifting just to the left of fatigue city & to the right of consciousness came along bastard "X-Men Stealth". Long story short and not officially fired, a self imposed ban was implemented. The ban is still in effect. Good times-> :)
Love your friend, Robert